Saturday, December 18, 2010

Really?

I suppose I am going to have to do a VLOG about this issue because honestly, I think I will ramble too much to make sense in a written blog. I want to address stupidity. You know it is really disturbing that we allow our children to become experts on video games, computer games, can navigate through any social website yet, they can hardly string together complete thoughts. It actually angers me to see so many of our peers, actually unable to speak properly, to spell even the most basic of words, to use even the proper form of a word. A malapropism is 'the gross misuse of a word'. I feel like there has to be a word for the gross misuse of the English language. I'm not addressing text talk or regular internet jargon like 'wtf, phuck, askin' whateva'' or things like that. I'm talking about lost being written as lossed, practice being written as practised, the misuse of their, they're and there, the use of here instead of hear, where or ever ware instead of wear, close instead of clothes. These types of mistakes in an adult are just plain sad. These mistakes in the language and writing of an adult with children are just tragic. What are you teaching your child?
Some people can not be blamed for how they were raised. Some people's parent bought them video games instead of books, toys instead of paper and pencils and that's okay. However, as an adult, don't you want more? As a parent don't you want more for your own children? You sit on Facebook and you talk about your child with such love and admiration, but you don't take the time out to better yourself? You must understand that in order to teach something, you must learn it first. Your child should be able to walk, unless handicapped. Your child will be unable to grow and be successful if you handicap them by refusing to acknowledge your own shortcomings and seek out ways to overcome them. We can not blame the world for what happens in our homes at night. You can choose to watch Housewives or try out a new 27 piece or you can pick up a book and read it to your child. You can give her crayons and send her on her way or you can teach her to write her name. You can say 'gimme dat lil' girl' or you can say 'Morgan, bring me that pen.' Children are sponges and they will soak up whatever they can good or bad. Try to provide them with as much good as possible. They deserve it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100 percent, someone needs to tell adults the truth about themselves...when one acknowledge their faults thats when they start making changes...a parent shouldn't want to intentionally hender their children from succeeding in the world...if you do not teach children the correct way of life, thats when they start finding other things that they feel comfortable with...the more you take time with them and introduce them to learning, the more they would be excited and intrigued with learning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree. I do know of a girl who is somewhat my friend and I have seen at her house before she spanks her daughter when she walks. She tells her no and to stop. I finally asked her why she punishes her daughter so much for walking. I thought that was one of the happiest moments so far in my life of being a parent was watching my daughter take her first steps. And my "friend" replied it was because she doesn't want her little girl growing up and she wants her to always depend on her. It has upset me so to see more and more people do things like this. Now I know you weren't talking exactly about this in your blog but it comes across a little of the same.

    But I do know so many parents that push their children away and are not smart at all. I saw this so much this summer. A little boy older than my daughter who only knew how to count to 2 and I asked how many colors he knew and the mom said, oh, we are just gonna wait to let his teachers teach him that. Isn't that what they are there for?

    My daughter is 4 and can speak in 4 languages yet I see 5 and 6 year olds who can't even count past 10. It amazes me that they don't want their child smart. Who doens't want to brag their kids know stuff? I love to tell people how smart my child is. But I assumed other kids her age were at her level too.

    She's obsessed with video games at 4, but still learns so much and knows a lot. I just think its lazy parenting

    ReplyDelete